Current:Home > reviewsBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -TradeWise
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 16:02:35
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- YouTuber Twomad Dead at 23
- Global Warming Could Drive Locust Outbreaks into New Regions, Study Warns
- What is Alaskapox? Recent death brings attention to virus seen in small animals
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- One dead, 21 wounded amid shots fired into crowd after Kansas City Chiefs rally: Live updates
- How Jennifer Lopez Played a Part in Derek Hough and Hayley Erbert's Wedding Planning
- 3 police officers shot at active scene in D.C. when barricaded suspect opened fire
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- The Biden administration announces $970 million in grants for airport improvements across the US
Ranking
- Trump's 'stop
- 13-year-old girl dies days after being shot on front porch of home
- Ben Affleck inspired J.Lo’s first album in a decade. She’s using it to poke fun at her romantic past
- At 17, she found out she was autistic. It's a story that's becoming more common. Here's why.
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Putin says Russia prefers Biden to Trump because he’s ‘more experienced and predictable’
- A guide to parental controls on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, more social platforms
- Selma Blair apologizes for Islamophobic comments, participating in 'hate and misinformation'
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
All Chiefs players, coaches and staff safe after Super Bowl parade mass shooting
Missouri high court upholds voting districts drawn for state Senate
Kristen Stewart talks having kids with fiancée Dylan Meyer, slams 'little baby' Donald Trump
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
13-year-old girl dies days after being shot on front porch of home
North Dakota takes federal government to trial over costs to police Dakota Access Pipeline protests
Kansas City parade shooting shows gun violence danger lurks wherever people gather in US